So, I don't mean to be a killjoy but I do want to draw attention to this as I think it's an important issue.
With the best intentions, chat logs have been posted on pastebin for reference purposes for the benefit of everyone on the course. I know that at least two of us are uncomfortable that our personal data has been published on the public internet without our consent. I am quite surprised that given the nature of the course we are doing that this action would be taken without consideration for personal privacy. I acknowledge that this may be partly cultural as I am British and privacy is quite a big thing here; strictly speaking this is a breach of principle 1 (fair and lawful), 2 (used only for specified purpose) and 7 (kept secure) of the UK Data Protection Act 1998.
'Bob Hope' kindly advised that in order to quickly pseudonymise the logs notepad++ can be used with a regular expression replace as follows: (?<=\d\d:\d\d\r\n)\w+\s\w+ If you use this, please note that this gets the majority but doesn't capture names buried elsewhere in the text.
From my perspective, I'd like to see ITpro.tv add a feature that they publish anonymised chat logs to a secure area of the website which is not indexed by robots and only accessible to those who are registered with an ITPRO.tv account such that they are not searchable by anyone on the internet. This would add value to the service and remove the need for anyone to take their own logs. It would have the added benefit of removing any potential liability for you relating to the actions of students posting on the internet without the express consent of all the service users.
That said, as they are out there already here are the links I am aware of:
- Monday: Anyone get one?
- Tuesday: http://pastebin.com/yJuuvvvv (full disclosure of names which I requested they remove using report abuse feature, still there )
- Wednesday: http://pastebin.com/1M15ZMwh (partial pseudonymisation)
- Thursday: http://pastebin.com/NreCcDVt (partial pseudonymisation)
- Friday: http://pastebin.com/HFZ6Cmsg (mostly pseudonymised)
(I've posted these using an account so if you spot a name I missed that identifies a specific individual please let me know so I can remove it.)
- Monday: http://pastebin.com/PH8MEJt7 (pseudonymised)
- Tuesday: http://pastebin.com/vY1NiH5z (pseudonymised)
- Wednesday: http://pastebin.com/fQpkkMCS (pseudonymised)
- Thursday: http://pastebin.com/jP7T1Ybb (pseudonymised)
- Friday: http://pastebin.com/WFHZPvUE (pseudonymised)
@Moderators Please let me know if you want any part of this or the whole thing removed.